About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri
I have always thought of myself as creative (hence why I majored in marketing in college) however it hasn't been until recently I feel like I can take that side of me and put it towards crafts. I am still learning but this blog will allow everyone to learn with me.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Distressed photos on canvas

I came across a blog that had this amazing tutorial on how to convert your photos on a canvas and it created this vintage distressed look to it. Recently I had to get a new computer because the screen on my laptop was falling off. I had that blog on favorite list but now that I have my new computer it will take me some time to find it again but once I do I will update my post so the credit will go to the person that it belongs to.

I took some of my friends pictures from her wedding and put them on the canvas. I started off with four however, two of them didn't turn out the way that I liked so I only gave her the other two and she seemed to love it. Once I find the blog where I got this from I will put up a link so everyone will know how to do it.

What you need
Photo that you want to use, make sure you reserve the image so when it is put on it wont be backwards
canvas
gel medium
water bottle
credit card



 These are the four images I originally choose.

 You apply the gel medium pretty well to the canvas. You wet the picture alittle bit with water then lay the image on the canvas. You take your credit card and smooth it across the picture to make sure it is suck on the canvas and you get all of the air bubbles out. Trust me once I did it and had a air bubble left and it ruined the image. You let it dry for 4 + hours
After it finishes drying you take your water bottle and get the paper very wet. You should be able to see the image through the paper


You gently rub off the wet paper. This is the part you really have to be careful. If you do it to light then the paper wont come off but if you do it to hard then the image will come off as well.
 These are the final two images that survived the whole process
This final image I actually cropped the photo so it was only their bodies and feet. I thought that idea was so much fun!!


I also did one for my friend Jessica's birthday. This photo was taken during a vacation to Florida with her boyfriend. He actually took this picture and I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good Lauren! Did you use a matte gel medium or a gloss? I used a gloss and want to try a matte next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margo!!
    I used the matte gel medium. I almost did the gloss but I wanted more of a matte finish to it!! I need to get a new camera because it looks shinner on here then they did in person

    ReplyDelete