About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri
I have always thought of myself as creative (hence why I majored in marketing in college) however it hasn't been until recently I feel like I can take that side of me and put it towards crafts. I am still learning but this blog will allow everyone to learn with me.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Welcome

I would like to thank you for visiting my blog. I have recently gotten into doing all different types of crafts. My very first craft project I did was a wedding gift for one of my good friends Kerri. I got the idea of the project from a very talented woman named Jessica with the blog http://ohsohappytogether.blogspot.com/ (check it out, she has alot of amazing ideas)...
The specific craft idea I got from here, this is the link this is her tutorial
Kerri had a HUGE wedding shower. There was about 60 women who showed up and my gift was the only one that was passed around. I felt great that everyone liked it because this is my very first craft.

Instead of making it the one color I decided to make mine with a landscape background.
I'm still learning on how to make the most of my blog so until I figure out how to do my tutorial on a seperate page I will just show step by step how I did this.
What you need:
wood plaque
picture you want to use
paint
brushes
golden gel medium (I use matte)
palette knife

I choose to make a landscape during a day. So the colors I used were 2 different greens, 2 different blues, gold, and white










I used the palette knife to make the picture look blended. Dont worry about it looking messy because at the end it will all tie together.

Now this is where the other blog comes into place because Jessica shows how to apply the gel medium to create the image on the wood.

 This part is where I messed up. I didnt let it dry long enough. If you can tell I have box next to the picture because I wrote something that I wanted to add the picture. Well basically only half of the letters stayed on. I started crying so hard because Kerri's shower was the next morning and I didnt have time to start all over. After I calmed down I decided to try and paint over it to see if that would work.. and it did


 I was just so lucky that I was able to paint over the letters and save the picture. I had to take some black paint to fill in JR since his back side also came off along with the letters. So basically if you do this PLEASE PLEASE let it dry for a couple of hours before taking the picture off.
Also, the flash on my camera was bright. The gold in the picture in person isn't as bright as it shows on here.





5 comments:

  1. Lauren! This is awesome. I didn't realize you were into arts and crafts. Definitely share more please : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! I love it!

    Your blog is way better than mine. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that we had a blog...awesome work Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful :) It came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blog world... love it! :)

    ReplyDelete